Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

On September 11, 2001 I was pregnant with my first daughter. Here is the letter I wrote her a few days later.

My Dear Daughter,
The time is drawing near...soon you will begin your life with us out here, in this great wide world. I've been thinking about writing this letter to you for a long while, I just wanted to give you a glimpse into what awaits you. With the happenings of the past few days you have been on my mind more than ever. Part of me feels like you are coming into this world at a good time, when our country is united and everyone seems to be going the extra mile to do their part for our freedom. But the other part fears for the uncertainty that lies ahead. I can only believe that years from now you will read this with the knowledge that September 11, 2001 was a tragic day in our nation's history, but one that we overcame in order to insure our freedom. For me, I have been thinking a lot about how much we take for granted. It had become easy to live day-to-day without appreciating the things that seem so basic. We are so fortunate to live in a country that protects our right to choose so many things. I just hope that your Daddy and I never fail in making you realize how lucky you are to be born in this great country. You have so much opportunity ahead of you and I intend to give you the love and strength you need to take full advantage of them all. I absolutely can not wait to look into your eyes and let you know how much you are loved. You are a very lucky little girl, you have two parents who love each other very much and who have so much love to shower upon you. I hope that the love your father and I share will be an example for you in your own life. We are young and I don't believe there is much practice for parenthood, but I vow that we will do our best. As you squirm around in my belly, I want you to know how much I love you and how grateful I am for the gift of being your mother.

All My Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Bonnie Smith said...

Okay, it's not fair to have me sitting here at work with tears running down my cheeks! When I think of the part Gary & I (mostly Gary) played in Isabella's conception (if the story I've heard is true), it makes me even more teary eyed. I've always known that you & Tony are SO much in love, but to read it in words to your unborn child was more than my emotions could handle. Beautiful job from a truly beautiful person -- inside & out.

Love,
Bonnie

Dorothy said...

Wow, Danielle! That is strong. Brought tears to my eyes and Isabella is so lucky to have you and Tony as parents, and to have memorabilia such as this to reflect upon later in life.

shannon said...

What a wonderful letter! Thanks so much for sharing...your children have a great mom!