Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The List

During my walk today I listened to a podcast of Terri Gross interviewing Rosanne Cash. Many of you know that my dad loved Johnny Cash, so our house has a certain familiarity with his music. I believe he is a musical genius and his voice is like no other. When Rosanne was eighteen, she went out on tour with her dad. She had just finished high school, was interested in a music career and wanted to spend some time with her father clean and sober. One day they were discussing music and when Rosanne was not familiar with some of the country songs he spoke of, her dad got a little worried. Later that day he gave her a sheet of paper with his list of "100 Essential Country Songs". She said it best when she noted that he didn't just give her a list of songs, he gave her a little part of himself.

Every person that walks through our life has a gift to offer. Sometimes we don't realize what that is until they are gone. I always knew my dad was special, but after he died I realized his gift of generousity, sincerity, trustworthiness and utmost love had left a void in my heart. When you are so used to someone's goodness surrounding you, it is really hard when it is suddenly gone. It takes time, but now I am more able to see that goodness in other people because of my dad's gift of himself. O.K., so maybe I am rambling. I tend to do that. Oh, by the way, Rosanne Cash just recorded ten of those songs on an album entitled 'The List'....check it out.

3 comments:

shannon said...

I listened to that interview a couple of days ago(only heard part of it). Sound like you had a wonderful dad!

Kasey said...

Wow - what a beautiful post, D...I see alot of the qualities you described in your father...to be in you as well my friend. xoxo - k

Scarlett said...

What a beautiful post, Danielle. Your dad was filled with nothing but goodness and completely devoted in his love for you.