Thursday, January 7, 2010

Good Ole' Food

As a Southern girl I whole-heartedly equate so many defining moments of my life to what I was eating. Mention Chicken and Pastry (that's what we call Chicken and Dumplings) and I immediately think about both of my grandmothers. Whole pigs cooking on a barbeque and there is my grandfather and uncle and so many wonderful gatherings. Chinese food: I think about my dad and his love for the Eastern cuisine. Deviled Eggs are a part of most every meal I've shared with my mom. I could go on for days...




I have often heard the term "emotional eating" as a very negative thing. But I constantly wonder how you can NOT be connected emotionally to food. So many cultures are partly defined by the foods they eat, whether it is everyday meals or celebratory feasts. I can not help but count food as a large part of what defines me. Every major (and minor) event in my life can be recalled with what was on the table and for some reason, that soothes me. I love being able to remember what food was shared after I got engaged, right after I gave birth, on a special trip, a birthday or at lunch with a special friend. Like I said, I'm a Southern girl and I guess the way to this girl's heart is through the stomach (too)!

No comments: