Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Recessionista

One of my resolutions of 2009 was to buy a lot less. With the state of the economy I feel that everyone should cut back a little. Not only is it the smart thing to do, it feels like the right thing to do. When I came across the word, "recessionista", it made me feel better than being described as frugal or cheap or budget-friendly. It is a bit more savvy. So, currently it is my favorite new word.

So far, so good. I have been making once-weekly trips to the grocery store! To some of my friends that previous sentence is a profound statement. I have been known to go to Harris Teeter several times in one day. That is largely due to poor planning. But with better planning of meals, I am on target and saving much more money with a single trip as opposed to gosh-knows-how-many grocery trips a week. Go me!

With sales galore these days, it has been really hard to say no. It's so enticing when items are 75% off! Then I have that conversation in my head that goes back and forth: "but it's 75% off, that is such a good deal! BUT, do the kids really need more clothes??". So far, the reasonable, recessionista-side has won out. Besides, the more clothes they have, the more laundry I have to do, and the more layers Lil' Darlin B will put on. I confess I did buy two sweaters at Target yesterday for $6.24 each. I really did need them though, its freezing!!

Are you trying to save money this year and want to share some tips with me, bring it on!

No comments: