Thursday, August 13, 2009

BTW


While I'm sounding off about the "old-fashioned" me, I should go ahead and put this out there as well. Today, I was looking through some e-cards (which is highly ironic for reasons you will understand in a shake). One of the e-cards read:


"I'm hoping for a Facebook application that helps me relearn conversation skills". (found here)


Let me take you back a bit- when I was a kid I spent a lot of time at my grandparents homes. I used to get so excited when a visitor stopped in (unannounced) to, dare I say, "visit". The adults would sit around with a glass of iced tea and simply catch up.


These days, that is almost a foreign concept. If my doorbell rings to an unannounced visitor, they are definitely welcome, but it still feels kind of strange. Only because it hardly ever happens. Cell phone calls, texting, e-mail: they all make surprise visits a rarity.


So, I do worry that future generations will start lacking in one-on-one conversation skills, spelling skills (everything is abbreviated. LOL), math skills (they have a calculator in their pocket), handwriting skills (do some people write anymore). Technology has changed the game.


But, I sit here and write this on my blog due to technology. So, I am not saying it is a bad thing. I love it and its many conveniences. I just don't ever want convenience to take the place of what's real- looking into a friend or family members' eyes and simply talking!


1 comment:

Sally said...

Amen to that! I just posted to my blog about snail mail, and then I read this post. You know what they say about great minds! Hope you are having a great Friday!