Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Daddy

I was cooking dinner tonight and simultaneously thinking of a million other things (like most moms do), when all of these thoughts about my dad rushed into my mind. I had already noted on my "To Do" list for the week to brainstorm about blog posts, so it just made sense for me to focus a few of them on my dad. Not to be depressing, but perhaps the stories weighing on my heart are just trying to make their way out. Sometimes, I feel blogging can't be regarded as writing for entertainment, but simple writing for the soul.

Since most of you that read my blog know me, you also know that my father passed away in 2005. I am an only child. He was my main man for the majority of my life. And the same goes for him, I think as soon as I was born, no other girl compared to me. At least, that's how he made me feel. I am reminded everyday how important a father's love is because I have three wonderful girls that are blessed with a fabulous father. It is such a beautiful thing to witness. So, when I see how blessed they are I can't help but think of my own dad and the time we had together. Precious, precious times.

I do not know if it feels the same for everyone, but I still feel that my dad's death is not real. It just seems like he is on a long vacation where he can't accept phone calls and will be returning anyday. He still figures prominently in my everyday thoughts, his physical presence is just lacking. And I miss that; what a void it is. You see, for the last few years of his life, he lived most of the time with us. At times it was hard, but now I see what God had planned and it all makes sense. In the time that he had left, he did not want to be anywhere but with us and for that I am eternally grateful.

2 comments:

smallwash said...

God does have such big and wonderful plans that we sometimes don't see for a long time. Cherish your memories of your Dad and share them with the girls. He is on a wonderful vacation, waiting for us all to get there.

Kasey said...

Beautiful post...thanks for sharing...k