Thursday, November 20, 2008

San Miguel


San Miguel nocturno..., originally uploaded by DieQro.

I have this unquenchable thirst for travel. It is hard to nail down the exact time in my life when it started, but I know a day does not go by that I do not think of someplace I want to see. I suppose a lot of these feelings can be attributed to moving to Australia when I was in middle school. I became aware of the world in such a different way... its beauty, its differences, its similarities, its gift of experiences. In college I was determined to see Europe. With three other friends I backpacked for a month and came home with more incredible experiences that remain a highlight of my life. I continue to travel as much as I can and I always delight in having a trip to look forward to. Now, if I could find a way to make money and travel, that would be my absolute dream job. I suppose that is a long prelude to the post I had in mind. A girl can get carried away when she really loves something.

I really want to share my love of travel with my kids and give them the gift of seeing new places and having eye-opening experiences like I did. I feel like this is important. I have done so much research on spending an extended amount of time in San Miguel in Mexico. It's kind of silly because it definitely is not in the budget at this time, but it is good to have a dream to work towards. San Miguel is located in central Mexico and has a large population of expatriates. Perhaps it would defeat the purpose to be in a foreign country where a lot of Americans live. But the culture there is preserved enough that I feel it would still be worthwhile. It is a very artistic community with beautiful architecture and simple charm. I've looked into the language school there for the kids, summer camps, cooking classes, rental homes. So, if you are looking for a good place to take the kids this summer I would give it a thumbs up. I feel like the guy on the street corner at the end of Pretty Woman, "Everybody's got a dream, now, what's your dream?"

2 comments:

Scarlett said...

What an amazing dream! And, it seems you are doing a lot to turn that dream into a reality. I think it would be an amazing thing to do and your girls would get so much out of it. Only one thing, can I come too?!?!

Danielle said...

Absolutely, Scarlett!